Wednesday, December 07, 2005

brainstorming

the results from the survey have been fantastic to read. they've confirmed my belief that we all possess neurotic relationships with our clothes. there are so many facets of this complexity, from comfort and warmth, to mood and disposition, to memory and love. i wanted to approach the sense of clothing from the psychological perspective, rather than from the usual sociological perspective (clothes as language, how we signal qualities about ourselves to each other, how we form social associations, etc.)

some themes:

the pragmatic.

comfort

convenience

the sentimental.

tokens
 My favorite thing that I am wearring is my wedding band. Its very simple, its gold, it feels nice, it reminds me of my lovely wife.



the self-conscious.

body-image

mood

perception from others
 The shirt I'm wearing, I remember got me particular compliments from a really attractive girl. Major ego boost! 


the material

color

fabric, composition

Wearing leather makes me feel cool, which makes me laugh to tell you! It indicates a bit of sensuousness, a sharp look, and prosperity.




the memory

places

found these on sale in the downtown Vancouver store one year.


this shirt has also seen me through all of europe. i wore it at a huge music festival in hungary. i remember drinking sangria with these hungarians we met. it was this perfect temperature, and dusk was falling, and the festival was on this island in the middle of the river. when i finally went to sleep last night the shirt reeked of cigarettes.


people

 I remember wearing this particular shirt when I was in a meeting and decided the people I work for are crazy. Now in the mornings, on days I put on the shirt, I'm reminded of that. Curiously.


times
 My Elephant and Castle tee shirt: It's black, it is from one my favorite NYC restaurants and it brings back memories of when I was alone (unpartnered) in my life and I found cozy places where it was okay to have a table for one. I can put on my tee shirt and think of the soft lighting, the tasty food and scrumptious deserts and the busy world of NYCity moving around outside me.


the secret

I also love my silk undershirt (even though you can't see it). It's real warm, lightweight and is this fantastic magenta color.


the inseparable

 They have taken me to hell-and-back-to-heaven again and I don't know what I'd do without them.


the invisible

personal contribution

 does my engagement ring count? it's not, to me the typical, boring ring. my husband designed it himself and it was made by a local artist. it's my third ring by her. the stone is blood free, very sparkly and he didn't pay retail for it. i feel like all of those things add up to something that on teh surface looks kind of boring and traditional, but below the surface is completely original and very me.


the unpredictable

 I remember wearing the jacket during the Media Lab sponsor week. A weak later I received a picture (by email) that one of the sponsor representatives had taken of me, without me being aware of it. It was a really nice picture!


 I found this warm PolarTec hat on the ground one day a couple of winters ago, and picked it up since it looked warm...now it's one of my favorite pieces of clothing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home